Hey, hey, BONES darlings! How are things? In this week’s edition of Top Five Tuesday, we’re talking about unsolved mysteries on BONES. I’m not talking about unresolved cases; I’m talking about the things that REALLY keep me up at night wondering. I’m also not necessarily talking about…inconsistencies (the ends of Killer in the Concrete/Death in the Saddle being the exact same footage) or quirks, (like why, for example, there have been about five side characters named Hank), or discrepancies in characterization (Angela). I’m talking about five things that just incite my curiosity like crazy. Five things that may not ever be revealed, and I may be haunted with for the rest of my BONES loving life until we get to BONES heaven. I can’t wait to see if you agree with me. Ready?
- Was Brennan really rescued from foster care by her grandfather?
She tells Booth, in a moment of friendship and compassion from him, that yes, she was in the foster system until her grandfather got her out. We never heard anything else about that. In fact, the general storyline regarding Brennan and her post age 15-years through college etc is that she was pretty much on her own. There are three things about this that just keep picking at me.
- Maybe Brennan is lying. It IS possible, I guess. She’s not a liar in general, but at that early in the B&B partnership game, she just might have wanted Booth to drop the subject. Maybe she thought he’d buy that/accept it more than the idea of her being on her own for so long. Or perhaps she’d learned that most people didn’t really WANT to hear about her struggles so the idea of a grandfather rescuing her was something she just repeated to people to make THEM feel better about it. Does that make sense? She got tired of sympathy or whatever, created a plausible storyline and used it. Possible.
- I honestly don’t know if the fact that this storyline sort of became Booth’s storyline annoys me more or less than Brennan’s version being unresolved. I’m just too confused by it. The source of the problem for me is that I LIKE it as Booth’s storyline. But I just can’t buy into it 100% because of the comparisons it has with Brennan’s. And it’s not like the writers haven’t had times to bring those two parallel stories to a crossroads. When Hank was talking with Brennan at lunch that one day, we don’t see any sort of reference to her own experience. That sort of thing makes me think that we’ll never see resolution to this.
- Someone once told me that HH once said that it was still an active storyline and that the mystery is that we don’t really know who Brennan’s “grandfather” is/was. Well, okay. (Is this technically spoiler talk? If so, my apologies. I’ve never heard anything else about it, so I hope we’re safe.) Part of me feels like I would rather him say something like, “Yeah, our bad. Can we all just sort of forget that part? We’re not going to deal with it, so…let’s just forget she said that. Deal? Yes? Great. Here’s Booth without a shirt on,” and we’d all kind of accept it and move on. And when I say we, I guess I mean me and shirtless Booth. Ha. But seriously, the IDEA of someone rescuing her…I don’t know! My mind first goes to Max, or someone he paid to help him. And I do totally buy that. I also would like to know more about that. I’m just worried we never will.
2. Will we EVER see what Brennan wrote in her letter while buried alive? (And is it even actually TO Booth?)
The other day on Twitter, BONESpals Smurfs and NatesMama were talking about things that will annoy them forever, and this was one of NMs. I had to laugh, because I know, I know, I KNOW that I always assumed she wrote to Booth. But it could have been anything to anyone. And THAT is what just tingles with possibility. I think maybe this might be one of those things that BONES fans might have latched onto that was never really intended to be hanging over our heads. Something that we’ve attached a much higher significance to than was ever in the minds of HH and the writers. What do you think? Like the line, and Jasper and a few other things, maybe I read too much into them. (Side note: Here are a few things that HAVE been referred to within the context of other eps: Pie and “Everything Happens Eventually” and “There’s more than one kind of family”. What others can you think of? And what do you think it means that THOSE things have popped up where others haven’t? Ah!)
3. Will Booth ever find out that Sweets was actively experimenting on him and Brennan when he was undercover?
Sweets gets a lot of crap from B&B; I’m not saying he doesn’t. Some of it is teasingly deserved and some of it is just them being stubborn to his theories and methods combined with their resistance to confront their feelings for one another. But for every time they give him a hard time in a session, they also look out for him. Whether it’s inviting him to family-style dinner with GG, taking him bowling, inviting him for Christmas dinner, making sure he’s okay after he witnessed a death…they work to make sure he’s included. If everything that happens between B&B is ‘theirs’, then Sweets sort of falls into that category. Yeah, Booth and Brennan mostly work with the same people, but in my opinion, Angela and Hodgins and Zack are “Brennan’s” while Caroline and Cam, though she works at the Jeffersonian, is really “Booth’s”. But Sweets really doesn’t quite fit with just one of them. Brennan brings her concerns about Booth’s brain to him (what I consider a small betrayal of Booth, but in a good way. Her loyalty and concern for him outweighs their loyalty to one another). And Booth asks Sweets for advice with Parker. These developments show me that it’s highly unlikely for this ‘mystery’ to ever surface. For one thing, it would be sort of unnecessary conflict. And while there is a tiny part of me that thinks it’s pretty darn cool that Brennan figured it out and Booth didn’t, there’s a slightly bigger part of me that wants to see the scene between Booth and Sweets. I think Sweets learned his lesson, and I don’t necessarily want Booth to beat him up, as Brennan promised. I guess it just slightly annoys me that we didn’t see this plotline to completion (in my opinion).
4. Will Booth, Brennan, Cam, Angela and Hodgins ever find out what Sweets knows: that Zack never killed anyone and played the system in order to remain institutionalized vs. incarcerated?
Though I was never the biggest Zack fan ever, this might be the unsolved mystery that might frustrate me the most. If only because it presents the BEST opportunity for character development and tension, and it just seems to have completely fizzled out. Angela and Roxie, Angela and Wendell, Brennan and Jared, Agent Perotta, Cam and Michelle…all of these one or two episode storylines/plots…I would gladly trade them for a more ongoing plot thread of the team finding out about Zack. It’s just so unbelievably ripe for exploration. Am I the only one who thinks so? And what I like about the idea of expanding it is that it affects every single person involved. It’s not just a B&B thing. And even if no one else on the team does find out, I would have at least really liked to see a little more internal conflict about it where Sweets is concerned. Some of you might be thinking, “Well, yeah, but Zack was in the season four finale, and it was sort of alluded to there.” I know, I know. But it’s just not enough. In fact, that raises more qs for me, like how did B&B know about it in their coma dream/free writing symbiosis?
5. How much of Booth’s coma dream was his and how much was from Brennan’s writings?
Speaking of that symbiosis, I often wonder about this. I don’t know if it’s because it’s the most recent or what, but I sort of feel like this is one where we might actually see a resolution. Or at the very least, some discussion. I actually like the internal tension this idea creates, mostly because I like the idea of Brennan using writing as therapy. We don’t have any indication that she keeps a journal. And I think the way she sort of deletes this story quickly indicates that this is sort of the first time she has tried to express how she is feeling by writing about it in fiction. I find it slightly hard to believe that the fact that she is writing it is all that it takes for Booth to be imagining/dreaming it. To me, that means Brennan is reading out loud to him, which…for my money, is one of the most smile-worthy, tears pricking the backs of my eyes, sweetest heart swelling ideas. I’m not quite a big fan of the season four finale, but I’m warming up to it, and this is one of the reasons why. What are your thoughts on this: Was Booth basically dreaming to Brennan’s narrative? Or were some of the things we saw manifestations of Booth’s sub-conscious and desires? And if so, which parts? Is Brennan writing about a case and Booth is the one who superimposes them as husband and wife? Is Brennan writing about Vasiri, but Booth interprets it as her love for science is what could pull them apart as a married couple? Is Brennan writing about being pregnant, or is that Booth’s thought? Do you see what I mean? What do you think? What percentage is Booth’s? This one annoys me the least but fascinates me the most. Like I said, perhaps that’s because it’s the most recent, so it feels like there’s the most potential for it to actually go somewhere. ACK!
Well, enough from me. What are your thoughts? Did I forget some? I’m sure I did, as I only included five. But let me know what you’re thinking.
Meanwhile, as I was writing this up, BONESpal Ange commented on another post and posted the link to this vid. I tell you what, guys…I am just SO jealous of people who have amazing creativity and ways to express that. It’s a B&B vid called “Falling in Love at a Coffee Shop” and it just showcases B&B. It gives me hope and makes me glad that even if none of the things I have listed are ever resolved, that in the end, Temperance Brennan and Seeley Booth will be together in every way it’s possible to be.
Check it out! And be sure to comment below!
Peace, Love & Bones,