Why are you nice to me?
Because. Because they think they get away with it.
They burn their victim. They blow him up. They toss him in the ocean. They bury them in the desert. They throw ‘em to wood chippers. Sometimes, you know, years go by, they relax. Then they start living their lives like they didn’t do anything wrong. Like they didn’t spend somebody else’s life in order to get what they got. They think they’re safe from retribution. You make those bastards unsafe. That’s why I’m nice to you.
I couldn’t do that without you Booth.
Yeah. So, um, you should be a little nicer to me, huh?
I really should.
TOP FIVE TUESDAY: Creepiest Villains
BONES seems to have four main kinds of killers:
- Jerks/people who think they can get away with it, like Booth tells Brennan in Man in the Morgue
- Normal people who get caught up in a moment of passion and make a mistake. Usually they try to hide it, and we feel a bit of conflict when they confess.
- Mentally ill people who are probably good at heart, but who make the wrong choice. Whether it’s of their own free will or not is not always revealed.
- Creepy McCreepersons
And since Halloween will come and go by the time we have another Top Five Tuesday, this seemed like the perfect time to delve into the minds and motivations of five BONES killers who still make my skin crawl. In chronological order:
- Jamie Kenton, Two Bodies in the Lab:What always sets me on edge is that he’s…in. Most of the time, I’m not worried that pain/death, etc is going to befall Booth or Brennan. They will use their mind and mojo to solve the case and put the killer behind bars. But with Kenton, he’s a trusted colleague of Booth’s. Booth trusts him to care for Brennan, and he seems legit. It’s his stableness that makes him the most skin-crawlingly terrible.
2. Howard Epps, The Man in the Cell (etc): His creepiness begins in season one, but is most evident in season two. What makes him so awful is that though his games are somewhat juvenile, they are still effective in knocking B&B off kilter. And if you count Epps’ death in Booth’s count (actually…do you?), then Epps’ actions cause both Booth and Brennan to kill someone. I don’t like having Booth and Brennan in pain, and Epps always seems to make that happen.
3. Arthur Graves, The Knight on the Grid: The thing about Gormogon is that…well, I’m not that affected by it. It’s sort of underdeveloped, and what with Booth calling him Gorgonzola (and Sweets’ fake coma dream family fun time band is named that), well…the G doesn’t really give me the creeps too much. Yeah, he rationalized Zack away, and that sucks. And he did take that kid to the bottom of the pool, and that was awful. And yes, in general, he is just incredibly horrible. But…maybe not that creepy. It’s a mystery who he is, and the end result in Pain in the Heart with Booth shooting the guy (awesome)…well, we didn’t even know that guy at all. He was a nobody, as Sweets said. But this guy? Are you freaking kidding me? When he gives that hiss…zoinks!
4. Alexa King, The Bone that Blew: What’s kind of nice about this one is that she also gives Brennan the creeps. I like being able to agree with Brennan. And we agree on this: The entitled princess who murders her manny (quite cruelly) over homework…well, that’s just creepy. Very creepy!
5. Heather Taffet/Gravedigger, The Boy with the Answer (etc): I guess we’re assuming that HT really is the GD? I think it’s safe to assume she is. While I still have doubts on the physicality of all of that, one thing that is clear is the amount of chills inspired by her cold, insidious personality. What makes me the most nervous is the way she manages to get under Brennan’s skin, in an emotional way. Sure, we might like the emotional development it brings, but below all of that is a real mega creepy-town mayor.
So, what say you? Which did I miss? Since I only chose one from the first five seasons, I’m sure there are some others I could have included. Who gives you the creeps? And why? Discuss! And…this guy’s not creepy, but he’s kind of cute, right?
Peace, Love & Bones