Good morning, Bones Theory readers!
Sophia, here, with a look at B&B. Who DOESN’T want to talk about them, hmmm? I was pondering the other night that although across the years we’ve seen Booth and Brennan grow closer, gain trust and respect in each other, become best friends and eventually love each other, there haven’t actually been that many moments that were really likely to end in a kiss. Moments where part of me really believes it was feasible and about to happen.
For one reason or another (significant others, other people around, non-romantic turmoil going on in their lives, difficult cases taking their toll, not wanting to confuse their relationship etc), it just never seems to quite happen.
So I thought I’d make a list, off the top of my head, of the top 5 moments where I think it wasn’t unreasonable of us to think they were about to kiss each other 🙂
1. The Pilot – the scene in the shooting range started a 6.5 season fascination with these two getting it on. The moment Booth got all up in Brennan’s face and she just stuck her jaw out and challenged his abilities as a cop, I don’t think I was alone in thinking ‘wow, this is some smokin’ hot chemistry these two have.’
I think if Bones was a movie and they’d only had 90 minutes to tell the whole tale (perish the thought) that scene could well have ended with a pretty heated, passionate ‘I’m going to push you up against this wall’ and ‘I’m going to snog the smugness out of you’ moment. Ah alas, it didn’t and us Bones fans have been waiting for it ever since.
2. The Woman in Limbo – This is probably the most contentious option on my list, because it might be a moment only I’ve read into (haha). Booth shows up at Brennan’s door with Chinese at midnight, she’s feeling pretty low about Max and they get onto a quite personal conversation about their parents, and it’s suddenly very intimate and late night, there’s music playing and they’re alone and both so hot (this is a recurring theme because, frankly, I don’t know how they’ve resisted each other so long), but there is something about the tone of the conversation, the intimacy of it, the trust and support there.
It’s late, they’re alone and together, and to me it looks like Booth suddenly looks at the situation, realises this is dangerous territory for them, takes a deep breath, thanks her for dinner and goes to leave. There was a definite change in his temperament out of nowhere there. I honestly think that played a different way, that scene could quite easily have led to some kissing and (how should I put this?) physical comforting. 🙂
3. The Blond in the Game – When Booth gives Brennan Jasper the Pig. (I want him to give her another gift soon by the way, Jasper and Brainy Smurf have been playing alone together too long). It was one of those occasions where Booth invades her personal space by leaning in really closely and fixing her with those ‘warm reassuring brown eyes’ and she’s just taken a life to save his life and they discuss the personal cost of the actions they sometimes have to take to protect themselves, each other or strangers. Booth comforts her in a way that really means something. He offers something of himself by talking about his past and gives her something thoughtful that shows he’s been listening. I think a kiss could well have happened there realistically.
4. This one’s a tie. I know that’s sneaking six onto the list technically but, you know, it’s Booth and Brennan and kissing we’re talking about! What’s a girl to do?! Ok = option 1 for number 4 – Hero in the Hold. When Booth jumped onto the helicopter and Brennan threw her arms around him, I wouldn’t have minded some ‘thank you so much for saving my life, you’re amazing and I should have told you every day for the last four years I love you’ and ‘Oh thank goodness you’re alive, you’re the best thing in my life and I should have told you at every opportunity that I adore you’ passion. So sue me 🙂
Option 2 for number 4 – Harbingers in the Fountain. Come on…Booth still had lingering thoughts that she was his wife and he couldn’t kiss her better when she was bleeding profusely and had just fought off a manic who was trying to kill her? Seems harsh on both of them to me 🙂
5. Night at the Bones Museum – after Sarah’s amazing scene study a couple of weeks ago on this, I think we’ve all been reminded of the epicness of that scene and how close they really came. Almost more than all of the above, I think this one really had it – more than any other, this scene was it for me in my head – I was holding my breath, thinking ‘oh my God, this is actually it’. And the reason I thought that is because they were both just so there.
It was written all over their faces that they wanted it, they were inexorably drawn closer to each other, they wanted to touch the other for no reason, they had reinforced their close bond and been reminded what they meant to each other. And they were both single and looking so beautiful and feeling pretty great about themselves – Brennan because of the success of her work and the closeness she felt with him, and Booth because Brennan had chosen to take him and not Hacker to the event and because she told him he changes history every day. It would have been the most natural thing in the world for them to lean in just a little bit closer and seal the deal. Sigh.
Does that mean there hasn’t been a single moment in more than a season that could likely have ended with them kissing? Surely not? I thought that maybe the season 5 finale might wriggle onto this list, but I resisted because, to me, a kiss in the airport really wasn’t likely, because of the 100th and because Booth had said ‘things have to change’. I think what Booth was saying there was that it was time to really move on. In that context, a kiss would have been a promise between them of what had gone unsaid, and what was waiting when they got back, whereas where we were at that time was further away from them getting together than they’d ever been. Groan.
I think I’m ready now, to see some moments again that have me on the edge of my seat silently imploring them ‘go onnn..kiss each other!!!’ yes. I’m definitely ready. Hopefully, before long, so will they be.
What do you think? Obviously, I only chose five (okay, okay SIX!) moments, and there could be more. When else could it have realistically ended with B&B kissing? No cheating on anyone, that’s a rule! On top of the SUV? After Mac & Cheese? After a particular case? Okay, let’s discuss!