Good morning, and happy Tuesday in BonesTheoryLand! (not to be confused with LunchLadyLand!). I hope you are having a good day. A couple of very random thoughts that will eventually come together just like a Hodgins poop chart:
1. I am saddened to announce the apparent death of one of my external harddrives. This one had all of my “Bones” stuff on it, which is teeth-gritting worthy. It was just the back-up, but it was also the ‘compilation’, so I’m slowly getting all of those things back together in one place. Wish me luck. Or a miracle!
2. There was this show on ABC ( I think) for awhile called October Road (and hey, fun sidenote: one of the actors was Geoff Stults of “The Finder” fame (though perhaps ‘fame’ is a bit much…yet)), and it was an…okay show. There were things I liked about it and things I hated about it, but I remember the show creator being interviewed once and he was asked why he thought the show had received such horrible reviews.
According to the good-humored exec producers, they always knew they weren’t exactly making The West Wing, but they never anticipated the trouncing they took from critics last season. ”I’ve literally made a many, many s—ty movie in my career, and I’ve never gotten such hateful reviews,” says Rosenberg (Kangaroo Jack, Con Air). ”To me, the show’s a cardigan sweater. It’s a Joni Mitchell record on a rainy day. It’s a cup of hot chocolate. You may not necessarily like hot chocolate or Joni Mitchell or cardigan sweaters, but why would you violently hate hot chocolate and Joni Mitchell and cardigan sweaters? There are shows like Who Wants to Marry My Cousin’s Wife? that got better reviews than October Road. It’s a cozy show about a writer who comes back to his hometown and falls back in love. You would think we were decapitating bunny rabbits.”
I don’t think I’ll ever forget that interview for two reasons. One, it showed that the TV biz is a tough one, but also, it went along with the old but true adage all writers must always keep in mind: know your audience.
3. Like with many BONES songs, I’ll purchase them and add them to my iPod for my morning commute, always sort of smiling when one of them makes it through the shuffle. But lately, Adele’s Make You Feel My Love from the season finale is just stopping me in my tracks. Is any one else having that happen? Cyndi Lauper’s Fearless is another one that will do that and has ever since the season five premiere. It’s more than just…’oh hey, this song was in Bones!’ and more like a slideshow of moments that just scroll across the screen of my mind in high definition. And I’m always left feeling a little dazed and then I always realize I’m smiling–sometimes sad, sometimes thoughtful, but it happens every time!
This isn’t a Top Five Tuesday of songs that make me stop in my tracks, but the point (and how it relates to the other two random notes) is that it’s not really possible to describe– it’s just different. It’s the way your stomach drops a bit, but in a good way. The way everything seems to slow down a bit perhaps. It’s warm and cozy and addictive (addicting? Help, grammar friends!) like hot chocolate or the perfect sweater, but it also can’t be…um, deliberately created? Does that make sense? I didn’t start watching the season six finale thinking “okay, whichever song is played at the end, that’s going to be my song for the summer”. It just…happened. It just synched up to the rhythm of my life in a way that couldn’t be manufactured.
And this relates to BONES for me on two levels:
1. I think that this connection happens between Booth and Brennan.
2. I think it happens between us and them.
So, when I was trying to come up with a theme for this week’s TFT (and now bringing in random point #1), I decided to scroll through all of the pics I have on file here and see if something struck my fancy. And I kept getting caught by these little moments, and so while they seem random, what they all have in common is that I can’t help but smile…every single time I see them. I chose ten (five Booth and five Brennan) that immediately gave me that… “yeah” feeling. The ones where it just clicked…where I realized after several seconds that I was smiling. Here are my ten, and while you can’t add pics to the comments, I hope you’ll chime in and add your own moments where:
1. You’ve sensed that B&B are drawn toward one another, even despite themselves in some cases.
2. You’ve found yourself drawn to BONES, perhaps even in spite of yourself.
So here we go!
1. “Bones is beautiful”
This season four moment from The Bone that Blew doesn’t actually have Booth uttering those words. He’d said them earlier, to Max, when asked why he wasn’t sleeping with Brennan. (Silly Max: Didn’t you know they were getting renewed for two seasons! 😀 ) But I think those words are running through his mind, as he watches her watch Max and Parker. B&B had bickered quite a bit during this case, so that Booth is looking at her this way puts it in one of those “the heart chooses what it chooses” columns.
2. “I’m proud you asked, Temperance”
This is probably one of my favorite season one moments. I loved Brennan asking Booth to take a look at her parents’ file, and I love that he’s cool about it (after teasing her about another favor, if I remember correctly), but even more than that, when he looks at the photos of her as a smiling young girl, he can’t help but smile as well. THCWIC, I think! 🙂
3. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”
Booth is not dumb. He might not always share what he’s thinking, but it doesn’t mean that he’s not a thinker, in my opinion. I think Booth has thought about what it would be like for him to be partners with Brennan and have another woman in his life. He may have thought about it without specifics, but I think he certainly is trying to figure it out with Hannah around. In this scene, ‘caring’ just permeated each moment between them, is my impression.
4. Bones is beautiful.
Haha, okay, he doesn’t actually say it here at the end of season three, but I think he’s thinking it. And this was a new sort of look from Booth at the time, and it was in public, with all of their friends. So either he doesn’t care, or he doesn’t even know he looks like this when he’s looking at her. But yes, they are just partners. Why do you ask? 😀
5. Looks and a whole lot more.
This episode, Boy in the Time Capsule, is an interesting one in terms of Booth and Brennan as male and female characters– particularly regarding some gender stereotyping (Booth was ‘that guy’, and Brennan’s reaction to it). But they still both maintain their Boothyness and Brennan-ness at the end, when they gently bicker (so affectionately!) about evolution. Love it.
1. I know who you are.
Okay, Brennan doesn’t actually ‘say’ this ( a mirror to Booth’s words to her from Woman in Limbo), but it’s what I think every time I see this picture. I love it because it’s so pretty in a way that’s different but also very real.
It’s interesting to me that this season sort of focused on the idea that Brennan would be by Booth’s side when he was having hard times. I never saw that as an issue. She never left him in the lurch (in my opinion, even at the end of season four, but that is another discussion) that I can remember. It was more that if she was having hard times, she might go away to consider them and get a fresh start. So this idea that she somehow is just NOW really there for Booth isn’t accurate, I don’t think. This moment is an example of that.
3. I will knock you dead.
Oh, Temperance Brennan–would you please flirt in your ridiculously cocky way more and more? Sincerely, Me.
4. Have you ever shared a sunset with someone you care about>
With Booth?, I think is what Brennan might be thinking about. This picture never fails to stop me in my tracks, because it’s just so enigmatic. Brennan is just so quietly considering Booth here, and his actions and character, in my opinion. But I think it’s also one of those moments where Booth sort of stops Brennan in her tracks to, where she just can’t quite look away. Very beautiful.
Don’t tell her I said that of course, or she might shove my face in the way of a sailing hockey puck. But I think it’s true. Like with Booth in Wannabe in the Weeds, either she doesn’t care that she sounds all breathy at the way Booth looks in his hockey uniform, or she doesn’t even know it. Either way, the heart chooses what it chooses, and in this case, her heart and the rest of her body is choosing her studly partner and team captain.
Okay, enough from me. It’s your turn!
Peace, Love & Bones,